By Samuel Wright
It is fair to say that football clubs based in Yorkshire have had a mixed bag of fortunes so far this season. While some are sitting at the top of end their division, others are sat in mid-table mediocrity, and some are battling relegation at the wrong end of the spectrum.
However, there have been plenty of individuals who have had fine seasons at clubs based in the Yorkshire region.
With this being said, let’s take a look at which 10 players who are currently plying their trade in Yorkshire have performed the best over the course of the 2021/22 campaign.
10. Lee Gregory (Sheffield Wednesday) – Before picking up a foot injury at the end of January, the 33-year-old forward was enjoying a fine campaign in England’s third-tier contributing eight goals and five assists in just 25 games for Wednesday. Gregory has never been known as a prolific goal-scorer but he has largely led the line well for Darren Moore’s men since signing from Stoke City in the summer.
9. Keane Lewis-Potter (Hull City) – While the 21-year-old has not quite hit the heights that he did while helping the Tigers gain promotion from League One, Lewis-Potter has still been a shining light for his team throughout this campaign with seven goals and four assists in all competitions. The Hull-born forward has plenty of potential and it is inevitable that his numbers will continue to improve as the years go on.
8. Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday) – The experienced midfielder is having another fairly impressive campaign at Hillsborough – contributing five goals and six assists so far as he looks to help the Owls break into the play-off places. Bannan has now been with the club since 2015 and has always been one of their most consistent performers. He has also now made nearly 300 appearances for the club.
7. Morgan Gibbs-White (Sheffield United) – The attacking-midfielder on loan from Premier League side Wolverhampton Wanderers is having a fine campaign with the Blades contributing eight goals and five assists in all competitions. The 22-year-old is another player who has plenty of potential and is arguably playing the best football of his career up to this point.
6. Luke Armstrong (Harrogate Town) – Armstrong is another forward player who is enjoying a pretty stellar campaign. He has so far got 12 goals and made five assists across all competitions. The Sulphurites have been one of the success stories in English football in recent years and the Durham-born 25-year-old will certainly help their chances of staying in the Football League.
5. Billy Sharp (Sheffield United) – Even at 36-years-old, Sharp still knows where the back of the net is in the Championship. He already has 12 league goals as well as seven assists so far in this campaign and has been leading by example for the Blades all season long. He has been the definition of a true pro since joining the club back in 2015 and is undoubtedly a club legend at this point.
4. Danny Ward (Huddersfield Town) – The Terriers’ forward is enjoying a fine campaign in front of goal and has already bagged himself 11 goals so far this campaign. The Bradford-born 30-year-old will be hoping he can add to his 11 goals and fire the West Yorkshire outfit back to the Premier League.
3. Freddie Ladapo (Rotherham United) – The 29-year-old is having a pretty great season with the Millers and already has 15 goals and three assists in all competitions. Ladapo has more often than not been an exciting player to watch since arriving in South Yorkshire back in 2019 and this has arguably been his best all-round campaign to date.
2. Michael Smith (Rotherham United) – What a season the forward is having in League One. Smith has already contributed 20 goals and seven assists throughout this campaign and looks destined to fire his team back up to the Championship come May. This is already his best scoring season with the Millers since he joined them in 2018.
1. Raphinha (Leeds United) – In what has been a rather injury-riddled mess of a season for Marcelo Bielsa’s White’s, there is no doubt that this man has been their standout player. The Brazilian has nine goals and two assists so far and has lit up Elland Road on a regular basis. It will be difficult for the Whites to keep hold of him going into next season he keeps up these extremely high standards.